Posted on February 18, 2013 by Corporate Traveller
For frequent international travellers flying Qantas or China Eastern Airlines, it’s important to note that both carriers have recently made changes to their luggage allowances.
China Eastern Airlines Economy passengers can now carry two bags with a combined weight of up to 46kgs (or 23kgs each), while business class travellers are entitled to two bags weighing up to 64kgs (or 32kgs each). Changes apply from Sydney and Melbourne to China, Europe, Japan, Korea, South East Asia and North America.
Qantas also upped its allowance to 30kgs on all international flights for economy passengers and has revised a number of other rules that frequent travellers should know about.
Along with the increased baggage allowance, as part of the new Emirates partnership Qantas is also removing rules about the number of bags on international flights to everywhere except America. However, for Frequent Flyer and Platinum members, under the changes their luggage allowances are reduced from three pieces weighing up to 32kg each (96kgs total) to just 50kg total.
For all existing Qantas Frequent Flyers and Emirates Skywards members, you’ll still earn points or miles on your flights. Another great benefit is that Qantas will provide complimentary hotel accommodation, transfers, meals and visa costs when your connection time in Dubai is longer than six hours and less than 24 hours. For more information you can always talk to your travel manager.
The amended international baggage allowances will apply for all flights booked from 26 Feb for travel from 31 March.
QANTAS - ECONOMY BAGGAGE LIMITS
- Non Frequent Flyer and bronze members, was one piece up to 23kg, now 30kg
- Qantas Club and silver members, was two pieces up to 23kg each, now 42kg
- Gold members, was two pieces up to 32kg each, now 46kg
- Platinum/platinum one members, was three pieces up to 32kg each, now 50kg combined
QANTAS - BUSINESS CLASS BAGGAGE LIMITS
- Non Frequent Flyer and bronze members, was three pieces up to 32kg each, now 40kg
- Qantas Club and silver members, was three pieces up to 32kg each, now 52kg
- Gold members, three pieces up to 32kg each, now 56kg
- Platinum/platinum one members, was four pieces up to 32kg each, now 60kg combined